Equal Opportunity Schools is seeking a Senior Software Engineer who is socially responsible, in- tune with race and diversity in education, and is drawn towards equality. We are a national not-for-profit organization with a mission to ensure that students of color and low-income students have access to America’s academically challenging school programs, and have opportunities to succeed at the highest levels .
The Senior Software Engineer helps lead the software development team in the design, development, and implementation of software applications to realize business needs. This position requires demonstrated ability to translate business and technical architecture requirements into design specifications and quality working solutions.
You will be part of the team that is responsible for the operation and maintenance, as well as identifying, defining and implementing new features, for a suite of web-based tools and reports that allow our clients and staff to submit, manage and analyze their data as they work towards their equity goals. We are a small team solving big problems with interesting technologies.
The Senior Software Developer will be responsible for:
· Design and implementation of software and tools
· Partner with customers in identifying and prioritizing software feature requests, enhancements and defects
· Communicate and collaborate with other developers, database administrators, and QA testers to ensure smooth development and operations within the product development team
· Design and develop new projects to help meet organizational mission objectives
· Contribute to all phases of the development lifecycle including continuous integration, testing and test automation, deployment, and refactoring
· Research new technology that could improve product offerings or current structure
· Review others' code and improve your code with feedback from other developers and QA testers
· Senior-level database application development experience (7-10 years professionally)
· Experience leading software development projects and teams
· Ability to extract requirements from customers that get to their core need and transform them into right-sized solutions
· Excellent knowledge of database design concepts
· Good understanding of application security concepts and developing robust, secure, and scalable applications
· Strong Ruby and Ruby on Rails skills desired
· Must be able to read and analyze raw SQL
· Good command of the asset pipeline, both sprockets and webpacker/yarn
· Tenacity and curiosity when presented with ambiguous requests or problems
Our Technology Stack
· Ruby on Rails
· Heroku, AWS
· Integrations with Qualtrics, Tableau, Box, AWS Glue, Athena and Lambda
· ECMA Script (some legacy CoffeeScript) and JQuery
· Agile project management
· Github for repository, issue tracking
· RSpec, Capybara, CircleCI, Rubocop/CodeClimate for quality
We would love to hear from you if you:
· Are passionate about serving students of color and low-income students, have an interest in improving access to and experiences in our education system, and are committed to social justice, equity, and inclusion with a desire to widen and apply their racial equity lens
· Seeking meaningful and rewarding work that has tremendous impact on the educational trajectory of under-served students
· Quickly learn and apply knowledge with new technologies and problem domains
· Are a self-starter, adapt easily to change and embrace collaboration
· Demonstrate personal ownership of tasks and ability to follow through to get required results in established timeframe
· Understand the systems development process and life cycle
· Demonstrate strong analytical skills and ability to troubleshoot complex problems
· Are able to design effective systems based on user requirements
· Are capable of writing thorough unit, system, and user test plans
· Possess strong written, oral, and listening communication skills
· Have a working understanding of Agile development methodologies
· Are customer service focused with the ability to build strong working relationships with business partners
If you have some but not of all the qualifications and are interested in the position, we very much encourage you to apply.
This job might be for you if:
You are committed to equity. You steadfastly believe that all students – particularly black, brown and low-income students – should have access and succeed in the most academically rigorous high school programs. You understand that working for equity is a continual journey and you are motivated by a passion for that journey.
You enjoy collaborating with others. You recognize that working with a diverse team of individuals with varying roles and skills can be challenging, but you enjoy this challenge. You work to find creative solutions to best fit a wide range of contexts, needs, uses, and timelines.
You love to learn and grow. You are always looking to improve and to develop new skills, and welcome constructive feedback that helps you get there. You’re excited to learn from other perspectives that will inform your thinking, and to contribute to others’ learning.
You are comfortable working in a dynamic, growing organization. Equal Opportunity Schools has experienced incredible growth and success in our 10+ years of existence, but we don’t have it all figured out. You’re excited to take on the challenges that come with a relatively young organization, evolving internal systems and structures, and long-term visions that are still works in progress.
Interested applicants should submit a CV and respond to the questions in the application.
Equal Opportunity Schools is an Equal Opportunity Minority/Female/Individuals with Disabilities/Protected Veteran and Affirmative Action Employer.
Equal Opportunity Schools considers for employment and hires qualified candidates without regard to age, race, religion, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, protected veteran or disability status or any factor prohibited by law. Equal Opportunity Schools provides reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in job application procedures and/or process.
About Equal Opportunity Schools: Equal Opportunity Schools partners with school, district, county, state, and national leaders to identify students to close race and income enrollment gaps, in AP and IB programs, while maintaining or increasing the success of these programs. Likewise, EOS ensures students of all backgrounds have equal access to America’s most academically intense high school programs—and particularly that low-income students and students of color have opportunities to succeed at the highest levels. Watch: What we do – Watch: Superintendents’ Experience with EOS.
Your application was submitted successfully.